Wendy pre-debut internet activities

So, someone asked if I could translate the posts Wendy posted on the internet before she debuted as a singer because he/she wants to learn more about Wendy. It never crossed my mind that people do know that Wendy had posted stuff before but not the exact content of it so I'll do my best to translate and explain bits and pieces to make them more comprehensible.

Some things to note:
Although it's the internet and people have internet persona, Wendy has ALWAYS used formal language and never once used slang or jargon. Thumbs up.

In 2012, Wendy posted a cover of 'Fantastic Baby' with the chords of 'Haru Hau', as a cover song contest hosted on pann. She came in second in the end. The first place winner was a group doing a funny dance cover.

Her post garnered 6938 up votes which is MASSIVE even at that time. She has 314,051 views, it's crazy. This was a super hot trending post at that time. In the past, it was a requirement for pann users to use their real names, therefore to have that amount of up votes and comments is impressive. You can use nicknames on pann now which explains the influx of hate comments due to the anonymity. For reference, a trending post on Nate pann has around 300-500 up votes, on quiet days, posts with 100+ might also be trending. A top post may go up to 700-1000 up votes.

Content of Wendy's post:

Title: College entrance high school student*, singing Fantastic Baby with Haru Haru's accompaniment ⭐️
*t/n: It sounds weird literally translated into English. Basically means she's a high school student waiting to attend college

Hello! This...is my first time uploading..I'm nervous...ㅠ
My voice is husky. I tried to do something different, so I'm using Haru Haru's chords!!
It's originally an exciting song...I think I made it kind of depressing..ㅠ_ㅠ .....................sorry..ㅠ
Even so, thank you!! I'm a Big Bang fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! euheung ㅠ_ㅠ
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!


T/N: This part onwards was edited on after her post went viral

Those who wants the audio file, since I might send them late~ I'll upload the link here~
Please enter the link to download~ Sorry!ㅠ
-link-

Thank you so much for your attention!!!!! ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I think I'm going to choke up~ Thank you!! ㅠ

I'll translate the first three best comments out of 3641 comments

1. [+1,029, -45] I didn't expect much but I got goosebumps so I'm upvoting. //oowah I made it to the best reply ㅋㅋ I listened to this and fell in love. You'll definitely get picked!! 💙 I'll open my homepage, although there's not much to see hee hee ㅋㅋㅋ I'll be thankful if you'll send the audio file to me too..ㅋㅋmellow@cyworld.com// (edit) Someone mentioned that the OP (Wendy) will be tired and asked someone to write it so'll I'll write it ~.~
Those who wants the audio file, since I might send them late~ I'll upload the link here~
Please enter the link to download~ Sorry!ㅠ
-link-
(T/N: Everyone was writing their emails under this commenter's comment even after Wendy posted the link, so he copied and pasted the link in his comment)
[281 replies]

2. [+621, -31] The song......you sang so well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is really so good!!! ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ
[76 replies]

3. [+581, -37] I saw people saying that this cover is so good on other sites, so I came to listen.....;;; I definitely did a good job coming here ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ You totally did so well!
[84 replies]

T/N: There were around 3000 comments of people writing down their emails and some JUST the email address without additional comments at all. There were also tons of people writing down their emails even after Wendy posted the link. Wendy replied to each and every single one of them with no exception. She sent the audio file to everyone and also replied several times to people who said their emails bounced back. There are screen caps of the actual emails but I can't find them. There was only one comment which she ignored, and the comment said 'People like these should be singers, not people like Goo Hara'. She replied to the comments before and after this one though HAHA. 


I'll translate some interesting comments
Commenter1: Please send this to yg
Wendy: ㅠㅠ....I'll get cursed at...ㅠ
Commenter2: Please you must send it. At first my speaker volume was on low so I couldn't hear. I raised the volume and got goosebumps when I heard the voice ㅠㅠ You must send it!!! Or if not, be like CL and go to the entrance. Wah this is awesome, really
Commenter1: Please send it ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I listen to it several times a day and I keep getting goosebumps (t/n: this commenter came back after a few days. talk about dedication)


Commenter3: (t/n: this comment was deleted recently. But I'll give you a gist of what was commented.) This commenter criticised Wendy's singing, comparing her to BMK and Lee Sun Hee who are disgraces to the music industry according to him/her. He/she also said something like, if you are a high school student, spend your time studying and not waste time doing these. You're letting your parents who have worked so hard down. If you want to be a singer, go attend some vocal academies.
[33 replies]
Wendy: Thank you for your harsh criticisms!! ㅎㅎ Since I'm a high school student, I'm still lacking in various fields..ㅠㅠ although I've never attended an academy before! I'm thinking of learning it when I've finished all my examinations~! Thank you once again for your advice!
Commenter4: First time seeing someone look down on BMK......
Commenter5: But she's not even a singer. If she sings even better than this, isn't she a genius......

Commenter3: First of all, Ms Son Seung Wan, thank you for taking my comment as an advice. If you work hard, positive results will definitely follow along. Commenter 4...it's going to be confusing to put it into words. The fact that a singer like BMK is a lecturer at Seoul Arts is an embarrassment to our country's music industry. Lee Sun Hee..even if she might have some genius aspects in music, she's definitely not a vocal genius. For vocals, if you don't work hard on it constantly, even if you have genius abilities, it is impossible to improve. Because vocal is the instrument of a person's body, it can only improve if you practise with your body efficiently. For example, a singer such as Lee Seung Chul.  You'll understand if you listen to his music when he first debuted in Boohwal and his music now.
.
.
(some other people's replies defending Wendy)
.
.
Wendy: Thank you everyone! I understand what Commenter3 is saying~ㅎㅎI'll try to attend academies when I have time~ㅎㅎ
.
.
(many more replies from commenter3 and other people debating)

(t/n: the tone and words commenter3 used wasn't exactly very nice/quite rude and I think that's why people were furious but Wendy was very nice and thanked him in a nice and humble way)


Commenter: I hear Lee Hi??;; Am I the only one??
Wendy: I love you

This is the link to the original pann post and the link is still alive. I'll put it here in case anyone wants to scroll through 3641 comments.

http://pann.nate.com/video/220116210#




This is a post on a cafe where people upload their covers. (2010)

(t/n: This cover is Wendy's 'love is difficult')

Title:
[Song Challenge] [High Schooler    Female] [Hello! I'm Son Seung Wan]

Content:

1: Name: Son Seung Wan
2: Age: 17 (According to Korea's standards, I think I should be first year in high school~?)
3. Sex: Although my name sounds like a male's...I'm female!! ^_^
4. Self introduction and aspiration: I'm a student currently studying abroad in US~~~~ I have a dream to be a singer and I'm working hard on it~ :) Although I can't sing well, even so, please take a listen~ (bows) ^o^ Please write down everything~~ that I need to fix and all that! :D It's my first time uploading here so I'm very nervous ㅠㅠㅠㅠ The part of the song at 'I can't do anything
' ㅠㅠ I couldn't sing it smoothly ㅠㅠ As a whole, I think I sang the song with too much force..cries...I'll upload a better one next time! I realise it's not easy to record a song! ㅠ
5: Others (experience): I'm just doing choir at school ㅎㅎ
6: Audio file: *attachment* The music is really soft........please ㅠㅠ speaker volume up! sorry ㅠㅠ cries



Commenter 1: Wah......it sounds slightly like that. Was it Gayo Daejun? Anyways, when Lee Seung Chul and 2NE1 collaborated, it sounds like the aura Minzy had. Your tone is a bit higher and stronger! You sing well ㅠㅠㅠ
Wendy: Yes!! I fell it love after seeing 2NE1 sing! I've been loving this song after that ㅎㅎ ㅠㅠ Thank you!! I was a little worried if it'll turn out as if I'm copying Ms Minzy too much ㅠ.ㅠ cries

Commenter 2: -deleted-
Wendy: aigoo Thank you ㅠㅠ That's right, right? I sang it with too much force right? ㅠㅠ cries. Next time I'll upload a cover much better than this one! :)

Commenter3: You really sang well ㅠ Something sounds rushed though...it'll be daebak if you sing it with ease and more smoothly ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ
Wendy: aigoogoo ㅠㅠ Next time, I'll really sing it with ease!!!!!!!!!!!! ㅎㅎㅎㅠㅠ It's regretful ㅠㅠ Thank you!!!!!!!!! ^_^

Commenter 4: Your voice sounds like Lee Eun Mi!! You sang well. However, from the start till the end of the song, it doesn't feel like you're singing in a high note but something like a slightly floating feeling? So I'm not sure if you're good at singing high notes...ㅎㅎI'm sure you'll pass a lot if you go for auditions? Try it once
Wendy: Omo......Lee Eun Mi sunbaenim....aigooㅠㅠ Really thank you! ㅠㅠㅠㅠ She's a person I really respect ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Floating feeling! I'll do well and upload one without that feeling the next time~ :-D ㅠ If I go to Korea in the summer, I want to try once!!! :) Thank you!!!!! ^_^

Commenter 5: Ohwah you sang well ㅎㅎ
Wendy: ㅠㅠㅠ Thank you.......ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Commenter 6: Ah...you're the person who won the best award at YGAC right? I thought you were really cool that time....ㅎㅎ You're still the best now!
Wendy: Omo..ㅠ ㅎㅎ You have a good memory............................+.+ ㅎㅎ thank you...ㅠ

Commenter 7: Wah.....you're good..!
Wendy: ...jjub....ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ thank you......ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Commenter 8: You sang really well ㅇㅁㅇ
Wendy: ....ㅠㅠ thank you...........ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Commenter 9: Not sure if it's because you are from mikuk (t/n: This means US, but the correct pronunciation is 'miguk'. The commenter tried to make a joke by using 'broken Korean') the feel is so different from others. ㅋㅋ~ It's great~ It's good~ good~
Wendy: hahaha...ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I burst out laughing at 'Not sure if it's because you are from mikuk, the feel is so different from others'! +_+ Thank you.. cries cries ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ


(t/n: Wendy's cover for 'Take a Bow')

Commenter 1: I got goosebumps
Wendy: Omo..ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ cries really..ㅠㅠ thank you..ㅠㅠ

Commenter 2: -deleted-
Wendy: Yes! That's right!! aigoogoo thank you..it'll be good if there's uniqueness! +_+ haha..ㅋㅋ

Commenter 3: (t/n: same commenter as commenter 4 above) Rather than getting the notes right, I got more of the floating feeling. It was like that too during 'love is difficult'.....Even so, it's hard to change the habit you've been singing all at once. If the notes are floating, you'll be able do less vibrations too. But how did you record this though? These kind of things are good. I want to use it too ㅠㅠ
Wendy: Ah is that so? ㅠㅠ The key was low so I sang it two keys higher, is that why? ㅠㅠㅠcries I will try hard to fix it! Heh heh! I used cool edit to record this!! :) I'm always thankful~ >_<
Commenter 3: Cool edit? Why can't I do it ㅠ Are you using the echo version?
Wendy: Yes!! Echo version!! Just like 'love is difficult', I recorded it as a video...I used cool edit and then used echo version, and it's different!! Try it once~! :)
Commenter 3: Wendy-nim, did you not see my private message?
Wendy: I saw it! :D It's the period where school ends late recently ㅠㅠ I was so busy I couldn't do it properly..ㅠㅠ but does it matter if I'm in the US?~? (t/n: she's referring to whether there's a difference to the usage of the software depending on if the person is in USA or not)

Commenter 4: Wow;;;; You sang really well! I liked it when I heard you sing 'love is difficult' the pervious time too! ㅋㅋIt's really....daebak...
Wendy: Really...aigoogoo..really thank you ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ cries :)

Commenter 5: The thing that I envy most is that, when a Korean goes to live in the US, they have the r&b feel. The English pronunciation also made me fall slightly in love. I'm envious
Wendy: ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ Is it because everything in US is dramatic? ㅋㅋㅋ

Commenter 6: I got goosebumps....oowah....
Wendy: ....................oowah.............thank you....tears from being deeply moved .... ㅠ

Commenter 7: Omo.......ㅠㅠㅠ I think you sang really well....I think I see you often ㅠㅠ /?
Wendy: Huh?? ㅎㅅㅎ :-) Do we see each other often?~ :) aigoo ㅠㅠㅠㅠ Thank you!!!! haha
Commenter 7: You sing really well
Wendy: ㅠ_ㅠ Thank you!!! There are so many people that sing so well ㅠ_ㅠ cries asdfghjkl

Commenter 8: -deleted-
Wendy: ㅠㅠ Thank you ㅠㅠ cries this is Rihanna's Take a Bow~ ^_^

Commenter 9: Oowah...the pronunciation..I think it's really good!! Really, I think your voice is really unique so you'll receive a lot of love from companies
Wendy: ㅠㅠ Since I've received a compliment, I feel so good...heh heh...ㅎㅎ I need to have uniqueness...ㅋㅋ If there's a willing company...ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋaigoo..ㅋㅋThank you!! :)
Commenter 9: Try it once!!!!
Wendy: Yes!! I've moved to Canada this time, and I definitely want to try it...ㅎ_ㅎ Thank you~~ ^_^
Commenter 9: Oooo...Canada!! That's good, did you go study abroad?
Wendy: I studied abroad in Canada, then transferred schools to US. This time I'm immigrating to Canada! ㅠ_ㅠ cries cries
Commenter 9: oowahhhhhhhh that's terrific. You must be good at English! I'm envious.ㅠㅠㅠ
Wendy: ㅠ_ㅠ It's a problem because I'm not good at it..cries ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ (t/n: lol Wendy the straight As student......ok)
Commenter 9: Gain strength!! You'll improve if you keep listening to it ^^
Wendy: Yes yes! ^_^ thank you ~~~~~~~~ ㅎㅎ

Commenter 10: To be honest..it's cringeworthy...
Wendy: Ah..ㅠ_ㅠ Sorry..ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Next time....I'll sing it not cringeworthy-ly! ^^

Commenter 11: Aren't you putting too much emphasis on each and every lyric ㅠ;ㅠ Can't really tell where you go strong and soft. It think it's worse because you go strong and soft~~~ I think it will be better if you sing at ease and then give an impact during the chorus
Wendy: Ok!! Thank you for your advice~ ^^ I'll think about each and everything you said when I record the next time~ ^^ Thank you~


This is Wendy's blog from when she was young (2006). It only has ONE post and the post is about a game called 'jump the ball (literal translation)'

Content:
This game is fun ^^
ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ


(t/n: example of a screenshot of the game)


(T/N: There are a few more similar posts but I can't find them because I didn't imagine myself doing translations when I first chanced upon them. I'll update this if I manage to find them!)

Share:

0 comments